- Main field of interest: Dutch Law European Environmental Law European Law International Economic Law International Environmental Law Law of the European Union
- European Law - Free movement, Institutional, citizenship
- International Trade Law, WTO dispute settlement
- Environmental law - European, International
- Consumer protection - European
- Educational law - European
- Natural resources - European, International
Dr. Douma studied law at the University of Groningen (The Netherlands) and the Eberhard Karls University, Tübingen (Germany) and wrote his Doctorate thesis on "The Precautionary principle. Its application in International, European and Dutch Law". He is senior research fellow at the T.M.C. Asser Institute (The Hague, The Netherlands) and lecturer of International Environmental Law at The Hague University.
His working experience includes publishing and lecturing on European law, European and international environmental law and issues of sustainable development, Dutch administrative and economic law and international trade law at the University of Groningen and the T.M.C. Asser Institute, at numerous universities in the EU and its neighbouring countries, South America and Asia as well as for civil servants, judges, public prosecutors and diplomats. He was team leader and senior legal expert in a wide range of EU approximation projects, notably in Bosnia Herzegovina and Russia, and worked on numerous other projects dealing mainly with the relationship between national and European law.
In 2009-2010, he was seconded to the Legal Department of the Dutch Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment, and from October 2014 to April 2015 to the Legal Department of the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, where in both cases he dealt with a wide range of EU and international law issues and was involved in cases at the Court of Justice of the EU.
He publishes frequently on a variety of Dutch, European and international law issues. He is editor for two Dutch law journals, board member of the Centre for the EU Law on External Relations (CLEER), member of the editorial board of the Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Security Sciences and on the board of referees of the Lisbon Law Review. He is co-founder and editor-in-chief of the European environmental law website (www.eel.nl).
* Juridische aspecten van de strijd tegen illegaal gekapt hout op mondiaal niveau, in de EU en in de VS (Legal aspects of the fight against illegally logged wood at the global level, in the EU and in the US), with M. Van der Kooij, in: J.M. Bazelmans, W.Th. Douma e.a. (red), Duurzame handel in juridisch perspectief, Vereniging voor Milieurecht 2014-1, The Hague, pp. 181-202
* Enige Europeesrechtelijke aspecten van schaliegaswinning (Selected EU law aspects of shale gas drilling), Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Europees Recht (Dutch Journal for European Law), 2014, nr. 1, p. 44-51
* The sustainability of the EU’s biofuels policy, in: L. Squintani, H.H.B. Vedder, M. Reese and B. Vanheusden (eds.), Sustainable Energy United in Diversity – Challenges and Approaches in Energy Transition in the European Union, European Environmental Law Forum Series, Volume 1 (2014), pp. 25-46
* Enforcement of International Environmental Law: the cases of the Deep Water Horizon and Probo Koala (with F.A. Nelissen), in: Tijdschrift voor Toezicht, 2011, nr. 2, p. 25-51
* Legal aspects of the EU biofuels policy: protection or protectionism?, in: German Yearbook International Law 2010, vol. 53, p. 371-420
* Commissie voorstel inzake teelt Genetisch Gemodificeerde Organismen: less is more? (Commission proposal on cultivation of Genetically Modified Organisms: less is more?), Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Europees Recht (NTER), nr. 1, p. 27-32
* De Probo Koala rechtszaken in Nederland: een tussenstand (The Probo Koala court decisions in the Netherlands: the state of play) in: Jurisprudentie milieurecht 2011, vol. 15, nr. 5, p. 288-295
* Updates of the following chapters in the Dutch Handbook on the Implementation of EU Environmental Policy (forthcoming at www.eu-milieubeleid.nl):
Chapter 3 Integration of the environment in other EU policy areas: Agriculture, Energy, Industry, Transport, Internal market and foreign trade; Chapter 7 Dangerous substances; Chapter 14 Climate change: CO2 emissions cars, Electricity from renewable energy sources, Transport biofuels and Energy taxes.
* Environmental Finance and Socially Responsible Business in Russia: Legal and Practical Trends (editor together with F. Mucklow), The Hague
* The EBRD and Russia: stimulating European Principles for the Environment, in: W.Th. Douma and F. Mucklow (eds.), Environmental Finance and Socially Responsible Business in Russia: Legal and Practical Trends, The Hague
* Het Verdrag van Lissabon en het Europees milieubeleid (The Treaty of Lisbon and European environmental policy), together with H.H.B. Vedder in: R.H. van Ooik and R.A. Wessel (eds.), De Europese Unie na het Verdrag van Lissabon, Deventer
* EU-Wetgevingskroniek 2009 (EU legislation chronicle 2009, together with S. Blockmans, M. van der Harst and S. van der Velde), SEW, nr. 9, , p. 348-361
* Russia and the present and future international climate change regime (Wybe Th. Douma, Michael Kozeltsev and Julia Dobrolyubova), in: Sebastian Oberthür and Marc Pallemaerts (eds.), The Climate Policies of the European Union: Internal and External Dimensions, Brussels, 2009
* EU-wetgevingskroniek 2008 (EU-legislation chronicle 2008, together with S. Blockmans, M. van der Harst and P. Vloemans), SEW nr. 12, p. 483-496
* Feasibility study for The Hague environmental law facility, Vol. I (34 p.) and Vol. II (98 p.) (together with L. Massai, S. Bronkhorst and W.J. Veening), The Hague
* Het Verdrag van Lissabon en het Europees milieubeleid (The Treaty of Lisbon and European environmental policy), together with H.H.B. Vedder, SEW, vol. 57, nr. 2, p. 62-65
* Penalty payment as guarantee on implementing EC law (Dwangsom als garantie op de uitvoering van EG-recht), Staatscourant, 21 February 2008, p. 5
* Handelsbeperkingen ten behoeve van het klimaat in het licht van het internationale handelsrecht: realistische optie of FAIRy tale? (Trade restrictions for climate change reasons in the light of international trade law: realistic option or FAIRy tale?), Milieu & Recht vol. 35, 2008, nr. 7. p. 414-420
* Implementing EU environmental law succesfully: Facing the challenges ahead, The Hague, 160 p. (ed. together with L. Massai)