- Published: January 2018
- Pages: IX, 135
- Publisher: T.M.C. ASSER PRESS
- Distributor: Springer
- ISBN: 978-94-6265-227-9
- E-ISBN: 978-94-6265-228-6
The book presents timely and needed contributions on privacy and data protection seals as seen from general, legal, policy, economic, technological, and societal perspectives. It covers data protection certification in the EU (i.e., the possibilities, actors and building blocks); the Schleswig-Holstein Data Protection Seal; the French Privacy Seal Scheme; privacy seals in the USA, Europe, Japan, Canada, India and Australia; controversies, challenges and lessons for privacy seals; the potential for privacy seals in emerging technologies; and an economic analysis. This book is particularly relevant in the EU context, given the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) impetus to data protection certification mechanisms and the dedication of specific provisions to certification. Its coverage of practices in jurisdictions outside the EU also makes it relevant globally.
This book will appeal to European legislators and policy-makers, privacy and data protection practitioners, certification bodies, nternational organisations, and academics.
Rowena Rodrigues is a Senior Research Analyst with Trilateral Research Ltd. in London and Vagelis Papakonstantinou is a Senior Researcher at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Brussels.
- First comprehensive book on privacy and data protection seals post-adoption of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Enriches understanding of certification under the GDPR
- Provides global perspectives on privacy certification through comparative analysis
- Uniquely covers data protection authority certification schemes
- Draws lessons from challenges faced by trustmarks to inform privacy and data protection seals
- Presents novel case studies exploring the potential for privacy seals in emerging technologies
- Proposes an economic analysis of privacy seals and their role in solving problems of information asymmetries