- Starts at: 14:00h
- Fee: Free
- Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
On 20 November 2017, Council Regulation (EU) 2017/1939 implementing enhanced cooperation on the establishment of the European Public Prosecutor’s Office (‘the EPPO’) entered into force. The office is to become operational three years from now, upon a Commission Decision to that effect.
Also at the end of 2017, T.M.C. Asser Press published a volume providing in-depth analyses of this brand-new piece of EU legislation, entitled: “Shifting Perspectives on the European Public Prosecutor’s Ofﬁce”. The volume (edited by Pim Geelhoed, Leendert Erkelens and Arjen Meij) comprises contributions written by well-known experts and practitioners in the field of EU criminal law. On 9 March 2018, this volume will be launched at the T.M.C. Asser Instituut.
On the occasion of the book launch, a panel discussion will address three key issues related to the actual establishment of this new office:
- Which institutions and bodies are responsible for setting up the EPPO, what is the nature of their responsibilities, and what type of activities (legal, operational, administrative) will they organise?
- How will the new office influence the nature of the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice in applying its powers?
- What is the cooperation between the EPPO and other bodies and agencies, such as Europol, Eurojust and OLAF? How will the exercise of the competences of these bodies be coordinated and adjusted?
- Professor Katalin Ligeti: Dean of the Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance, Professor of European and International Criminal Law, University of Luxembourg
- Professor John Vervaele: Professor of Economic and European Criminal Law, University of Utrecht and College of Europe, Bruges
- Moderator: Mr Jos Silvis: Procurator-General at the Supreme Court of The Netherlands
14.00 – 14.30: Welcome and registration
14.30 – 14.40: Formal opening of the Book Launch and words of welcome to all participants
14.40 - 16.40: Panel discussion chaired by Mr Jos Silvis, Procurator-General at the Supreme Court of The Netherlands, including introductions by:
- Professor Katalin Ligeti, Dean of the Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance, Professor of European and International Criminal Law, University of Luxembourg
- Professor John Vervaele, Professor of Economic and European Criminal Law, University of Utrecht and College of Europe, Bruges
16.30 – 16.40: Presentation of “Shifting Perspectives on the European Public Prosecutor’s Office” by Frank Bakker, Publisher at T.M.C. Asser Press
16.40 – 17.30: Reception
The panel discussion will be followed by a reception, which will mark the departure of Professor Arjen Meij and Leendert Erkelens as visiting research fellows from the T.M.C. Asser Instituut.