- Starts at: 09:00h
- Fee: 1695 euro
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut & ICCT
- Email: email@example.com
- Confirmed speaker Helen Duffy on Extraordinary Rendition: Responsibility, Accountability and the way ahead?
- Confirmed Speakers High Level Panel
Legal Challenges and Dilemmas
From 24 – 28 August 2015, the T.M.C. Asser Instituut and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism - The Hague (ICCT) are organising the fifth Advanced Summer Programme on Countering Terrorrism.
The objective of this unique Summer Programme is to explore the theoretical and more practical questions of the legality of many counter-terrorism strategies and measures. The programme aims to provoke critical thinking about such issues as:
- Defining Terrorism under International and Domestic Laws;
- The War Paradigm vs the Law Enforcement Paradigm;
- The Role of International Humanitarian Law and International Human Rights Law in Countering Terrorism;
- Targeted Killings and the Use of Drones in Countering Terrorism: Legal, Moral, Technical and Efficiency Issues;
- The Role of Intelligence and the Police in Countering Terrorism;
- The Protection and Use of Witnesses in Terrorism Cases;
- Trying Terrorists at the Domestic and International Level;
- Legal Aspects in countering the foreign (terrorist) fighter phenomenon.
The programme is tailored towards policymakers from the international, national and local level working on counter-terrorism issues, as well as other counter-terrorism professionals working at think-and-do tanks, international organisations, universities and the criminal justice sector, who want to expand their knowledge of the underlying legal tenets and dilemmas in countering terrorism. It should be noted that a legal background for this course is desirable but not required.
- Programme with speakers online!
- Confirmed Study Visit: Eurojust
- Confirmed speaker Judge Baragwanath on Defining Terrorism under International and Domestic Laws
- Confirmed Study Visit: Special Tribunal for Lebanon
- Targeted Killings and the Use of Drones as a Counter-Terrorism Measure
- Experiences of a participant of the Summer Programme on Countering Terrorism 2014
- Confirmed speaker Prof. Richard English on Essential Counter-Terrorism Paradigms: The War Paradigm vs the Law Enforcement Paradigm
- Apply for the Summer Programme at: www.asser.nl/CounteringTerrorism
The deadline for registration has been extended. You can register up to two weeks before the start of the Summer Programme.
*Please read the Registration Information & Conditions carefully before registration (see brochure).
For more information or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
>> Download the flyer, brochure and provisional programme for more detailed information about the programme, the subject areas that will be covered and the terms and conditions of registration.