Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - Richard Caddell
Telephone: +44 1248 382518
Fax: +44 1248 382085
Postal: University of Wales, Bangor, Department of Law, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 9DG, UK
Responsible for the National page on Estonia,Latvia and Lithuania
Richard is a lecturer in Law at the University of Wales, Bangor specialising in Public International Law, International and EC Environmental Law and Torts. He is a PhD candidate at Cardiff University, UK, where he was awarded an LL.B in Law and Spanish and an LL.M (with Distinction) in Commercial Law. Richard’s PhD research examines the role of ecosystem management in the regulation of cetaceans. He has a special interest in wildlife protection laws, and is the course director of a new degree scheme in law with environmental conservation at Bangor. He also has a particular interest in legal developments in the Baltic States and pioneered the teaching of EC Environmental Law in Estonia.
- 2002 – 3: Tutor in Law, Cardiff University, UK
- 2003 – 4: Lecturer in Law, IUCA, Tallinn, Estonia.
- 2003 – Date: Director, Baltic Legal Research Centre, Tallinn, Estonia.
- 2004 – Date: Visiting Lecturer in EC and International Environmental Law, IUCA, Tallinn, Estonia.
- 2004 – Date: Lecturer in Law, University of Wales, Bangor, UK.
Professional Fields of Interest
Public International Law, EC and International Environmental Law, Maritime Law, Torts, Media and Sports Law, legal issues affecting the Baltic States.
- “Red Card for the WRU: Vowles v Evans and Welsh Rugby Union” (2003) 2Wales Law Journal 262.
- “Defamation of Public Officials: Latvia and the European Court of Human Rights” (2004) 9Communications Law 96.
- “International Law and the Protection of Migratory Wildlife: An Appraisal of Twenty-Five Years of the Bonn Convention” (2004) 16Colorado Journal of International Environmental Law and Policy 1.
- “By-Catch Mitigation and the Protection of Cetaceans: Recent Developments in EC Law” (Forthcoming).
“Driftnets and Cetaceans: The Role of EU Law in By-Catch Mitigation” American Society of International Law - International Environmental Law Group, 8th International Wildlife Law Conference, Tulane University, USA, 19th November 2004.
- Cricket (full international honours for Estonia!)
- Rugby Union
- The Baltic States