LegislationSee attached files for reproductions of the leading Estonian environmental legislation.
Article 53 : "Everyone shall be obligated to preserve human and natural environment and to compensate for damages caused by him or her to the environment. The procedures for compensation shall be determined by law."
- Ambient Air Protection Act
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Auditing Act
- Environmental Monitoring Act
- Forest Act
- Hunting Act
- Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control Act
- Law on the Protection and Use of Wild Fauna
- Planning Act
- Pollution Charge Act
- Waste Act
- Water Act
Environmental Liability Act adopted
An Act on Environmental Liability was proclaimed by the President of Estonia, in line with the requirements of Directive 2004/35/EC. The new piece of legislation lays down the main principles to be followed in the event of an environmental damage. It will nonetheless only apply to cases of significant consequences: the remaining will remain governed by the rules on financial compensation.