skip to main content
- Office National des Forêts (ONF) [National Office of Forests] (in French): it obviously aims to protect forests. Additionally it focusses on informing the public and getting it involved and they work together with other environmental organisations.
- Office International de l'Eau [International Office for Water]: it is a non-profit organisation with the objective to gather public and private partners involved in water resources management and protection in France, Europe and in the world. Thereby setting up a real partners' network. At teh beginning of 2007 the network consisted of 149 member organisations.
- Eaufrance (in French): the water website. This site makes the public information of water in France available.
- Agences de l'Eau [Water Agencies]: there are six water agencies in France. They offer technical advice to elected representatives, industry and farmers. They also provide financial aid for the works necessary to fight water pollution and protect water resources.
- Agence de l'Environnement et de la Maîtrise de l'Énergie (ADEME) [French Environment and Energy Management Agency]: industrial and commercial public undertaking, under the joint supervision of France’s Ministers of Environment, Energy and Research. It's mission is encouraging, supervising, coordinating, facilitating and undertaking operations with the aim of protecting the environment and managing energy.
- Agence Nationale pour la Gestion des Déchets Radioactifs (ANDRA) [National Agency for the Administration of Radioactive Waste]
- Institut Français de l'Environnement (IFEN) [French Institute of the Environment]: it is an expert servvice directly linked to the ministry of ecology and sustainable development.It deals with environmental data and risks to the environment.
- Institut National de l'Environnement Industriel et des Risques (INERIS) [National Institute of the Industrial Environment and the Risks]: Founded in 1990, INERIS is an EPCIP (French public research body of an industrial and commercial character), under the aegis of the French Ministry of Ecology and Sustainable Development. It's mission is to carry out or commission studies and research programmes aimed at preventing the risks brought about by economic activities on health, the safety of persons and property and on the environment, and to provide any services intended to facilitate the adaptation of companies with this objective in mind.
- Commissariat à l'Énergie atomique (CEA) [Commissariat for Atomic Energy]: it is a French government-funded technological research organisation. It is involved in setting up collaborative projects with many partners around the world.
- Institut Français de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la Mer (IFREMER) [French Institute of Research on the Utilization of the Sea]: it's mission is to increase knowledge on and protect the environment of the marine and the maritime environment. It provides assistance to the government research, whilst managing facilities and collecting oceanographic information. Additionally it also contributes to the implementing of agreements in the marine field.
- Agence Française de Sécurité Sanitaire des Aliments (AFSSA) [French Agency for Food Safety]
- Haute Autorité de Santé (HAS) [The French national authority for health]: set up by the French government in August 2004 in order to bring together under a single roof a number of activities designed to improve the quality of patient care and to guarantee equity within the healthcare system. HAS activities are diverse. They range from assessment of drugs, medical devices, and procedures to publication of guidelines to accreditation of healthcare organisations and certification of doctors.
- Institut de Radioprotection et de Sûreté Nucléaire (IRSN) [Institute of Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety]: it is a public establishment of an industrial and commercial nature placed under the joint authority of the ministries of environment, health, industry, research and defense. It is the expert in research and specialised assessments into nuclear and radiological risk, serving public authorities.
- Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD) [Institute of Development Research]: it is a French public science and technology research institute under the joint authority of the French ministries in charge of research and overseas development. The IRD has three main missions: research, consultancy and training. It conducts scientific programs contributing to the sustainable development of the countries of the South, with an emphasis on the relationship between man and the environment.
- Centre de Coopération Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Développement (CIRAD) [Centre of International Cooperation on Agricultural Development Research]: it is a French agricultural research centre working for international development. Most of its research is conducted in partnership. CIRAD has chosen sustainable development as the cornerstone of its operations worldwide. This means taking account of the long-term ecological, economic and social consequences of change in developing communities and countries.