Intern: International Criminal Law and/or International Humanitarian Law and/or International Human Rights Law
The T.M.C. Asser Instituut offers recently graduated or advanced law students the opportunity to enrich their knowledge with practical experience of working in the field of public international law, with a focus on international criminal law (ICL)/ International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and/or International Human Rights Law (IHRL) (0,5) and support the Netherlands Network for Human Rights Research (NNHRR) (0,5).
The institute currently offers one intern position.
The intern will:
- Assist the (senior) researchers of the Research Strand ‘Human Dignity and Human Security in International Law and European Law’ in their research tasks;
- Support the coordinator and assistant of the Netherlands Network for Human Rights Research (https://www.asser.nl/nnhrr ) in the coordination and administration of the network;
- In addition, the intern may be required to help with the organisation of our events and the subsequent drafting of reports;
What we offer
One full-time, paid (€ 300 to € 450 a month, depending on level of education) internship for a period of six months, starting 1 May for a recently graduated or an advanced law student specialising in public international law, with a focus on ICL and/or IHL and/or IHRL.
Interested candidates should:
- Have a demonstrable interest in and an academic background in public international law, with a focus on ICL and/or IHL and/or IHRL;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Fluency in written and spoken French;
- Have a Master/LLM in or be current enrolled in a Master Programme in public international law/ICL/ IHL/IHRL;
- Have strong legal analysis and writing skills;
- Be able to draft different types of documents (from academic pieces to project proposals, reports as well as board meeting minutes, texts for newsletters/websites);
- Be able to help organise events and conferences;
- Be motivated and interested in the aims of the Asser Institute and the NNHRR;
- Have good team spirit but also be able to work independently.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying please submit to email@example.com, in one PDF file:
- Your letter of motivation;
- Your CV in English;
- Your latest grade transcripts;
- A sample of your writing (e.g. a paper you have written for your studies).
The deadline for applications is 16 April. The selected applicants will be invited for interviews which will take place on 25 or 26 April 2019. The envisaged start date is 1 May 2019. Incomplete applications, applications with the wrong subject line, or applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.