[Preliminary programme out] Sign up for the international public interest advocacy workshopPublished 2 June 2021
The preliminary programme for the 4th edition of the international public interest advocacy workshop is now out. The workshop brings together top legal practitioners and academics in the area of public interest advocacy. During three days, professionals such as Louise Fournier & Charlie Holt from Greenpeace International, Jelle Klaas from the Public Interest Litigation Project (PILP), Joseph Wilde and Marian Ingrams from SOMO & OECD Watch, Helen Duffy from Human Rights in Practice, and Gearóid Ó'Cuinn, Ioannis Kalpouzos & Valentina Azarova from the Global Legal Action Network will join us. The workshop covers topics such as environmental litigation, human rights litigation, corporate accountability and more. This workshop is not only an educational event, but also an exceptional opportunity to expand your network.
Advocating for public interests involves many challenges in the field of international law. You will have to develop strategic litigation, choose and identify funding opportunities, and take on a cause. Taking on this work also means taking on risk, and calls for critical reflection. Working as a lawyer on behalf of public interest in the international arena is a developing field. As such, sustaining that work requires skills, knowledge, and a good network.
What to expect
When attending the online course you will get exclusive insight into the experiences of various legal practitioners within the field. They will discuss diverse topics related to developments within international public interest advocacy. Some of the key topics that will be covered are: strategic litigation, creative lawyering, identifying issues in the public interest, finding resources for public interest work, new technologies and public interest innovation, and the challenges to public interest work internationally. There will also be plenty of opportunities for networking and critical thinking about the topics.
The course will take place between 5-7 July, 2021. Click here for the preliminary programme.
- Jelle Klaas, NJCM, Public Interest Litigation Project (PILP)
- Louise Fournier, Greenpeace International
- Charlie Holt, Greenpeace International
- Zeenat Sujee, Southern Centre for Inequality Studies
- Robert Okello, Barefoot Law
- Valentina Azarova, GLAN, Manchester International Law Centre
- Itamar Mann, University of Haifa
- Charles Heller, Forensic Oceanography
- Gearóid Ó'Cuinn, Global Legal Action Network
- Ioannis Kalpouzos, Global Legal Action Network
- Thandiwe Matthews, University of Witswatersrand, ISS/Erasmus
- Rob van Riet, independent public interest advocate
- Helen Duffy, Human Rights in Practice, Leiden University
- Joseph Wilde and Marian Ingrams, SOMO & OECD Watch (respectively)
This workshop is primarily aimed at students, interns, young professionals, and public interest lawyers interested in the latest practices and innovations within areas of international public advocacy law.
How to apply