Advanced Summer Programme on Countering Terrorism: Legal Challenges and Dilemmas29 August - 02 September 2016
- Starts at: 09:00h
- Fee: € 1695
- Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut & ICCT
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 29 August – 2 September 2016, the T.M.C. Asser Instituut and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT) are organising the Sixth Advanced Summer Programme on Countering Terrorism.
This Summer Programme aims to provide participants the necessary knowledge and insights into the legal frameworks in countering today’s and tomorrow’s terrorism. Participants and lecturers will search together for and discuss long-term, effective, international rule-of-law-based strategies and measures.
The following topics will be discussed:
- Defining Terrorism under International and Domestic Laws
- The War Paradigm vs. the Law Enforcement Paradigm
- The Role of International Human Rights Law in Countering Terrorism
- The Role of Intelligence and the Police in Countering Terrorism
- The Protection and Use of Witnesses in Terrorism Cases
- Trying Terrorists at the Domestic and International Level
- Legal Aspects in Countering the Foreign (Terrorist) Fighter Phenomenon
Both the T.M.C. Asser Instituut and ICCT are at the forefront of doing research and organising projects on these matters, and are ideally equipped to mobilise the best speakers on these topics. Names of confirmed lecturers will be announced on our website and social media accounts in the coming months, so stay tuned!
>> Download the programme
- Testimonial by Mr. Robert Mitchell, participant of the Summer Programme on Countering Terrorism in 2015
Each year, study trips are organised to prominent institutions in The Hague, such as the Special Tribunal for Lebanon and Eurojust.
Front-line practitioners, policy makers (at the international, national, regional and local level), diplomats, (military) lawyers, professionals working at think-and-do tanks, international organisations, universities (including advanced (PhD) students) and the criminal justice sector, who want to expand their knowledge of the underlying legal tenets and dilemmas in countering today’s and tomorrow’s terrorism, are invited to apply.
More detailed information about the Summer Programme can be found here.
Registration is now closed for the 2016 programme.
Fee: € 1695
>>Download the report