- Starts at: 09:45h
- Fee: From €750
- Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut and Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL)
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
The Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL) of the University of Amsterdam and the T.M.C. Asser Instituut are pleased to announce the launch of the summer programme on "International Lawyering in a Public Interest".
What does it take to practice international law for public interests? This summer programme will explore the challenges of public interest advocacy in international law, from questions of practice to finding or starting a firm, and from finding funding to identifying causes for advocacy. We will also raise critical questions, to challenge what it means to practice public interest advocacy in the international system. Our group of lecturers includes leaders in practice, including advocates from major firms and pro-bono start-ups, as well as NGOs, the diplomatic community, and academia.
What will you gain?
The knowledge lawyers need to launch and sustain practices of public advocacy with international law; and the critical knowledge necessary to challenge assumptions about the nature and limits of public interest advocacy under international law. See full programme here.
List of Participating experts:
- Prof. dr. Helen Duffy, Leiden University
- Dennis van Berkel, Urgenda
- Dr. Gearóid Ó Cuinn, Global Legal Action Network, Lancaster University
- Jelle Klaas, Public Interest Litigation Project
- Dr. Ioannis Kalpouzos, Global Legal Action Network, City, University of London
- Marieanne McKeown, Public Interest Law Network
- Joris Sprakel, The Fischer Groep
- Dr. Gavin Sullivan, University of Kent
- Dr. Sofia Stolk, The Asser Institute
- Dr. Immi Tallgren, University of Helsinki
- Matthew Cannock, Amnesty International: International Justice, Lobbying and Advocacy
Masters students; PhDs; Young professionals; Seasoned professionals looking to develop a public advocacy practice; Public interest lawyers interested in new directions and critical reflection on the field; NGO workers interested in issues of law and legal practice; Academics looking to apply their knowledge for public advocacy; Diplomats.
- To register for the summer programme, please fill out the form here: www.asser.nl/ILPI2018
Please read the Registration Information & Conditions carefully before registering.
Students & PhDs: € 750
Regular: € 1275
This fee includes lectures, study materials, study visits, water/tea/coffee and lunch during working days, a reception and an opening dinner.
The fee does not cover (international) travel costs, domestic travel to and from airports, (hotel) accommodation, insurance or other expenses. The T.M.C. Asser Instituut can provide prospective participants with a list of suitable hotels in The Hague.
5 Scholarships Available (Closed)
AKD has generously offered to fund 5 partial scholarships. More details on the scholarships can be found here. Scholarships will be awarded on a rolling basis. The scholarships cover only the tuition fee. There are no more scholarships available.
For more information or questions please contact email@example.com.