- Starts at: 15:30h
- Fee: Free
- Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
Join us for a round table discussion of the momentous decision by the Court of Justice for the European Union in the Achmea case. The Achmea decision throws doubt on the controversial practices associated with bilateral investment treaties, or BITs, and the special means of arbitration that they establish for private investors against states in which they invest. The Netherlands has been especially active in the field. Come learn and debate the possible futures following Achmea for public policy and arbitration practices in the Netherlands, the EU, and beyond.
Our round table includes experts in international dispute settlement, European Union law, international private law, and representation from Milieudefensie, which this year is focusing critically on Dutch BIT practices. The debate will be an exciting one.
- Freek Bersch (Milieudefensie)
- Prof. dr. Eric de Brabandere (Leiden University)
- Prof. dr. Christina Eckes (University of Amsterdam)
- Prof. dr. Stephan Schill (University of Amsterdam)
- Prof. dr. Vesna Lazic (Asser Institute)
- Ronald Roosdorp (Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs)