- Starts at: 09:00h
- Fee: €1275,-/€750,- (regular/student)
- Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
Explore the challenges of public interest advocacy in international law and rethink what it means to practice public interest advocacy in the international system. At the International lawyering in a public interest summer programme organised by the Asser Institute, we bring together leaders in practice, including advocates, activists, academics and members of NGOs, to discuss questions of cutting-edge legal techniques, how to find funding, how to identify causes for advocacy, how to start up your practice, and more. The summer programme will take place at the Asser Institute from 8-12 July, 2019.
What will you gain?
The knowledge lawyers need to launch and sustain practices of public advocacy with international law; and the critical knowledge necessary to challenge assumptions about the nature and limits of public interest advocacy under international law. See last year's programme here.
Masters students; PhDs; Young professionals; Seasoned professionals looking to develop a public advocacy practice; Public interest lawyers interested in new directions and critical reflection on the field; NGO workers interested in issues of law and legal practice; Academics looking to apply their knowledge for public advocacy; Diplomats.
- To register for the summer programme, please fill out the form here.
Please read the Registration Information & Conditions carefully before registering.
Five scholarships available
AKD has generously offered to fund five partial scholarships for students and PhD candidates. More details on the application process and conditions can be found here. Scholarships will be awarded on a rolling basis. The scholarships cover only the tuition fee.
To apply for a scholarship please follow this link.
List of last year's participating experts:
- Prof. Dr Helen Duffy, Leiden University
- Dennis van Berkel, Urgenda
- Dr Gearóid Ó Cuinn, Global Legal Action Network, Lancaster University
- Jelle Klaas, Public Interest Litigation Project
- Dr Ioannis Kalpouzos, Global Legal Action Network, City, University of London
- Marieanne McKeown, Public Interest Law Network
- Joris Sprakel, The Fischer Groep
- Dr Gavin Sullivan, University of Kent
- Dr Sofia Stolk, The Asser Institute
- Dr Immi Tallgren, University of Helsinki
- Matthew Cannock, Amnesty International: International Justice, Lobbying and Advocacy
For more information or questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.