Advanced Summer Programme on Countering Terrorism in the Post 9/11 World26 - 30 August 2013
- Starts at: 09:00h
- Fee: 1695,-
- Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut and ICCT - The Hague
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
- Email: email@example.com
This advanced Summer Programme is organised in cooperation with the International Centre for Counter Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT) for the third time.
In our post 9/11 world, there are many debates on how terrorism should be approached. For instance: what is terrorism exactly and what are the conducive factors? Which paradigm is to be taken in fighting terrorism? The law enforcement paradigm? The war paradigm? And when, and how, should we negotiate with terrorists? Which international law and human rights obligations should be respected and what is the role of NGOs and civil society in countering terrorism? And how can terrorists be tried effectively, both at the national and international level?
The objective of this unique Summer Programme is to provide participants with answers to these fundamental and more practical questions and to give them a deepened understanding of:
· The phenomena of violent radicalisation and terrorism;
• Prof. Dr. Richard English (University of St Andrews)
• Dr. Alex P. Schmid (ICCT - The Hague)
• Mr. Maajid Nawaz (Quilliam Foundation)
• Prof. Dr. Edwin Bakker (Leiden University & ICCT - The Hague)
• Mr. Richard Barrett (former coordinator of the UN al Qaeda/Taliban Monitoring Team - tbc)
In addition, study trips will be organized to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon and Eurojust.
This year the programme also includes a roundtable discussion on the ‘exodus’ of European Foreign Fighters to Syria with high level panellists Sergei Boeke (chair), Amy-Jane Gielen, Maajid Nawaz and Richard Barrett. More information on this special session can be downloaded below.
REGISTER BEFORE 9 AUGUST AT: www.asser.nl/counteringterrorism
Please read the Registration Information & Conditions in the information brochure below carefully before registration.