Dr Eva Kassoti is a Senior Researcher in International and EU Law as well as the academic co-ordinator for the Centre of the Law of EU External Relations (CLEER) at the T.M.C. Asser Institute. Eva read law at the Democritus University of Thrace, Greece, and was subsequently admitted to the Greek bar. She completed the LL.M. in Public International Law at the University of Nottingham and obtained her Ph.D. from the University of Bristol. Her monograph entitled ‘The Juridical Nature of Unilateral acts of States in International Law” was published in 2015. Before joining the T.M.C. Asser Institute, Eva worked as a Senior Lecturer in International and EU Law at The Hague University of Applied Sciences from 2012 to 2018. Eva has held visiting fellowships at Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg (Germany), the T.M.C. Asser Institute, and the EUI (Florence).
Eva’s research interests include public international law, EU law, EU external relations law, as well as the interplay between the international and the EU legal order.
- The Juridical Nature of Unilateral Acts of States in International Law (Brill, Martinus Nijhoff, 2015).
- A. Duval, E. Kassoti (eds), Economic Activities in Occupied Territories: International, EU Law and Business and Human Rights Perspectives (London: Routledge, 2020).
- E. Kassoti, A. Duval, Setting the Scene: The Legality of Economic Activities in Occupied Territories, in A. Duval, E. Kassoti (eds.), The Legality of Economic Activities in Occupied Territories: International, EU law and Business and Human rights Perspectives, (London: Routledge, 2020), pp. 1-24.
- A. Duval, E. Kassoti (eds.), The Legality of Economic Activities in Occupied Territories: International, EU law and Business and Human rights Perspectives, (London: Routledge, 2020), 256 pp.
- EU Trade Agreements and the Duty to respect Human Rights abroad: Introduction to the Theme, CLEER Paper 2020/1, pp. 5-11, E. Kassoti, R. Wessel, available at https://www.asser.nl/cleer/publications/cleer-papers/cleer-paper-20201-kassoti-wessel-eds/.
- E. Kassoti, R. Wessel (eds.), EU Trade Agreements and the Duty to Respect Human Rights Abroad, CLEER Paper 2020/1, available at https://www.asser.nl/cleer/publications/cleer-papers/cleer-paper-20201-kassoti-wessel-eds/.
- The CJEU’s Judgment in Organisation juive européenne and Vignoble Psagot: Some Introductory Remarks,4 European Papers 2020, E. Kassoti, S. Saluzzo, pp. 753-761.
- E. Kassoti, S. Saluzzo (eds.), What’s in a Name? The Psagot Judgment and Questions of Labelling of Settlement Products, 4 European Papers 2020, pp. 753-798.
- Between Sollen and Sein: The CJEU’s Reliance on International Law in the Interpretation of Economic Agreements covering Occupied Territories, 33 Leiden Journal of International Law 2020, pp. 1-19, available at https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/leiden-journal-of-international-law/article/between-sollen-and-sein-the-cjeus-reliance-on-international-law-in-the-interpretation-of-economic-agreements-covering-occupied-territories/423A578EE001755045B3C3897CD6FF74.
- A Missed Opportunity? Unilateral Declarations by the EU and the ECJ’s Venezuelan Fisheries Judgment, co-authored with M. Vatsov, 35 The International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law 2020, pp. 1-27.
- The Past, Present and Future of Corporations under International Criminal Law, co-authored with A. Duval, Preadvies Koninklijke Nederlandse Vereniging voor Internationaal Recht 2019, pp. 1-40.
- Bridge over Troubled Water: Opinion 1/17 and the Autonomy of the EU Legal Order, 48 Revista General De Derecho Europeo 2019, pp. 1-9.
- The Empire Strikes Back: The Council Decision Amending Protocols 1 and 4 to the EU-Morocco Association Agreement, Insight: European Papers, 2019, pp. 1-11, available at http://www.europeanpapers.eu/en/system/files/pdf_version/EP_EF_2019_I_003_Eva_Kassoti.pdf
- The ECJ and the Art of Treaty Interpretation: Case C-266/16 Western Sahara Campaign UK, 56 Common Market Law Review 2019, pp. 209-236.
- The EU's Duty of Non-Recognition and the Territorial Scope of Trade Agreements covering Unlawfully Acquired Territories, 3 Europe and the World: A Law Review 2019, pp. 1-18 .
- Revisiting the European Commission’s Approach towards the Rule of Law in Enlargement, co-authored with L. Louwerse, 11 Hague Journal on the Rule of Law 2019, pp. 223-250.
- Doing Business Right? Private Actors and the International Legality of Economic Activities in Occupied Territories, 7 Cambridge International Law Journal 2018, pp. 301-326.
- The EU and Western Sahara: An Assessment of Recent Developments, 43 European Law Review 2018, pp. 751-769.
- International Legal Scholarship and the Quest for Integrating Democratic and Participatory Principles in the Definition of Global Public Goods, 7 UCL Journal of Law and Jurisprudence 2018, pp. 1-26.
- Commitments by Non-State Armed Actors: The Continuing Relevance of State Consent, in J. Summers (ed.), Non-State Actors and Changing Relations in International Law, Brill, Martinus Nijhoff, 2018, pp. 86-106.
- The Legality under International Law of the EU’s Trade Agreements covering Occupied Territories: A Comparative Study of Palestine and Western Sahara, CLEER Papers 2017/3, pp. 1-56, http://www.asser.nl/media/3934/cleer17-3_web.pdf.
- Trading with Settlements: The International Obligations of the European Union with regard to Economic Dealing with Occupied Territories, Asser Policy Paper Brief 2017-02, available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3001962.
- The Council v Front Polisario: The Court of Justice’s Selective Reliance on International Rules on Treaty Interpretation, 2 European Papers 2017, pp. 23-42, available at http://www.europeanpapers.eu/en/system/files/pdf_version/EP_EJ_2017_1_5_Article_Eva_Kassoti.pdf.
- The EU and the Challenge of Informal International Law-Making: The CJEU’s Contribution to the Doctrine of International Law-Making, Geneva Jean Monnet Working Paper 06/2017, pp. 7-40, available at https://www.ceje.ch/files/3615/1748/7746/kassoti_6-2017.pdf .
- The Front Polisario v Council Case: The General Court, Völkerrechtsfreundlichkeit and the External Aspect of European Integration, Insight: European Papers, 2017, pp. 339-356, available at http://www.europeanpapers.eu/en/system/files/pdf_version/EP_EF_2017_I_010_Eva_Kassoti_3.pdf.
- Between Völkerrechtsfreundlichkeit and Realpolitik: The EU and Trade Agreements covering Occupied Territories, 26 Italian Yearbook of International Law 2016, pp. 139-170.
- The Constitutionalization of International Law and the Challenge of Non-State Actors, 4 Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law 2016, pp. 177-200.
- Beyond State Consent? International Legal Scholarship and the Challenge of Informal International Law-Making, 63 Netherlands International Law Review 2016, pp. 99-131.
- The Normative Status of Unilateral Ad Hoc Commitments by Non-State Armed Groups in Internal Armed Conflicts: International Legal Personality and Law-Making Capacity Distinguished, 21 Journal of Conflict and Security Law 2016, pp. 1-30.
- The Sound of One Hand Clapping: Unilateral Declarations of Independence in International Law, 17 German Law Journal 2016, pp. 215-236.
- Like Ships in the Night? The CJEU and the ICJ at the Interface, co-authored with L. Louwerse, Geneva Jean Monnet Working Paper 06/2016, available at http://www.ceje.ch/files/3314/6122/9300/Geneva_JMWP_06-Kassoti-Louwerse.pdf.
- Fragmentation and Inter-Judicial Dialogue: The CJEU and the ICJ at the Interface, 8 European Journal of Legal Studies 2015, pp. 21-49.
- The Legal Nature of Unilateral Security Assurances: Conceptualising Positive and Negative Security Assurances as Unilateral Juridical Acts, in J. Black-Branch, D. Fleck (eds.), Nuclear Non-Proliferation in International Law, Vol. II, Springer 2015, pp. 287-316.
- Unilateral Acts Revisited: Common Law v. Civil Law Approaches and Lessons from the International Law Commission’s (Failed) Attempt to Codify Unilateral Acts of States, 26 The Hague Yearbook of International Law 2013, pp. 168-200.
- The Juridical Nature of Unilateral Acts of States in International Law, 23 Finnish Yearbook of International Law 2012-2013, pp. 411-461.
- Council of the European Union v Front Polisario, Case C-104/16P, Oxford Reports on International Law (ORIL), ILEC 099(CJEU 2016), 25 April 2017.
- Front Polisario v Council of the European Union, Case T-512/12, Oxford Reports on International Law (ORIL), ILEC 097(GC 2015), 21 March 2017.