- Starts at: 09:00h
- Fee: 1400 euro
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL LAW AND INTERNATIONAL LEGAL AND COMPARATIVE APPROACHES TO COUNTER-TERRORISM
From 18 May - 12 June 2015, the T.M.C. Asser Instituut is organising the 9th Summer Law Program on International Criminal Law and International Legal and Comparative Approaches to Counter-Terrorism.
This year’s Summer Programme is split up in two parts:
- International Criminal Law, taking place from 18 – 29 May 2015; and
- International Legal and Comparative Approaches to Counter-Terrorism, taking place from 1 – 12 June 2015.
International Criminal Law
The first two weeks will provide an overview of the fundamental features of international criminal law. What are international crimes and how have the definitions of these crimes evolved in the last decades? We will explore how domestic courts, ad hoc tribunals and hybrid tribunals have contributed to ending impunity.
Topics that will be covered i.e.:
- International crimes: crimes against humanity, genocide, war crimes;
- Amnesties & Immunities;
- Role of states in preventing & prosecuting international crimes;
- Victim participation;
- Ad hoc tribunals & hybrid tribunals.
International Legal and Comparative Approaches to Counter-Terrorism
The last two weeks of the Summer Programme will focus on International Legal Approaches to Terrorism. What is terrorism and counter-terrorism, how have these concepts evolved since 9/11? We will look how human rights are raised in the context of terrorism. This, especially in light of the recent attacks at Charlie Hebdo and the counter-measures that are being adopted across Europe providing far-reaching powers to intelligence agencies.
Topics that will be covered i.e.:
- Identification, Listing and Delisting, Asset Freezing;
- Human Rights raised in context of terrorism and counter-terrorism;
- Use of force in Counter-terrorism: Jus Ad Bellum;
- Jus in Bello Issues in countering terrorism: Targeting and Detention;
- Alternatives Means of Dealing with Foreign Terrorist Fighters.
Interested candidates may apply for the 4-week programme, or sign up for only one of the 2-week programmes.
40 students from top US law schools will travel to The Hague, the City of Peace and Justice, to follow this quality programme and visit courts and tribunals that are making legal history as we speak.
An additional 10 places are available on this programme for interested students/young professionals from across the globe interested in pursuing careers in counter-terrorism and related fields of work.
You can register by completing the online application form:
• 18 May - 12 June 2015: International Criminal Law and International and Comparative Legal Approaches to Counter-Terrorism
• 18 - 29 May 2015: International Criminal Law
• 1 - 12 June 2015: International and Comparative Legal Approaches to Counter-Terrorism
The deadline for application has been extended!
*Please read the Registration Information & Conditions carefully before registration (see brochure).
For more information or questions, please contact email@example.com
>> Download the flyer and brochure for more detailed information about the programme, the subject areas that will be covered and the terms and conditions of registration.