- Starts at: 09:00h
- Fee: 1495 euro
- Organiser: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 20-22
2517 JN The Hague
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 31 August – 4 September 2015, the T.M.C. Asser Instituut in cooperation with the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) are organising the Sixth Annual Summer Programme on Disarmament and Non-Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction in a Changing World.
The programme will provide the participants with a historical overview of arms control concepts and approaches. It also considers the role of WMD disarmament and non-proliferation in the context of international law, security policies and geopolitical considerations.
In sum, the objectives of the programme are:
- To offer a broad, comparative review of the history, purpose and provisions of WMD treaties;
- To provide an understanding of the diplomatic, legal and technical aspects of organisations dealing with WMDs;
- To explore how WMD treaties are implemented at national level; and
- To create networking opportunities for participants by bringing them in direct contact with officials of leading organisations in the field of WMDs.
The Summer Programme is designed for professionals working for the government, (semi) governmental organisations, think tanks addressing WMD concerns, national export control bodies, national authorities for the (implementation of) the CWC (and BWC), national nuclear (energy) agencies and research centres in related disciplines.
Whether you are a diplomat, scientist, security analyst or an advanced graduate student following these paths, the Summer Programme will provide you with a unique insight into the legal frameworks of each sub-category of WMD. In addition, you will obtain a sound understanding of the distinctions and similarities between nuclear, chemical and biological weapons. Familiarity with international law and arms control issues is highly desirable for course applicants.
- Confirmed speaker Ms. Deepti Choubey on the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT)
- Confirmed speaker Dr Sibylle Bauer on Export Control Regime
- Programme with speakers online!
- Confirmed speaker Dr Paul Walker on the legacy of WMD and the environment
- Confirmed speaker Dr Oliver Meier on WMD from a (geo)political perspective
- Confirmed keynote speaker: Ahmet Üzümcü, Director-General of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- Apply for a regular place at the Summer Programme: www.asser.nl/Disarmament
The deadline for registration has been extended. You can register up to two weeks before the start of the Summer Programme.
- Registration is closed for the partial scholarships
- Registration is closed for the full scholarships
*Please read the Registration Information & Conditions carefully before registration (see brochure).
For more information or questions please contact email@example.com
>> Download the flyer, brochure and programme below for more detailed information about the programme, the subject areas that will be covered and the terms and conditions of registration.