Seventh Annual PhD DayPublished 28 May 2018
On 25 May 2018, the International Humanitarian and Criminal Law (IHCL) Platform organised its seventh annual PhD Day at the T.M.C. Asser Instituut, where PhD researchers on international humanitarian law and international criminal law presented their research and received feedback.
Presentations were provided by:
- Hanna Bourgeois (Institute for International Law, KU Leuven): ‘The Relationship between the International Law on the Use of Force and International Humanitarian Law in the Context of Protection of Civilians Mandates’
- Jackson Oldfield (University of Amsterdam): ‘Smuggling in International Law. The 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants by Land, Sea and Air and its Relationship to other Anti-smuggling Treaties’
- Hendrik Vandekerckhove (Institute for International Law, KU Leuven): ‘In Absentia Convictions and Reduced Penalties for Reconciliatory Reasons: Forms of Proper Justice?’
- Laura Íñigo Álvarez (Utrecht University): ‘Attribution of IHL Violations to Armed Groups: Current Practice and Possible Rules’
- Thomas Van Poecke (Institute for International Law, KU Leuven): ‘The Saving of the IHL Saving Clause’
For more information about the Platform, please visit the IHCL Platform website or contact its coordinator Christophe Paulussen.