Goals for the New Year? Register now for our 2022 training programmesPublished 27 December 2021
Registration is now open for our two interdisciplinary training programmes: the winter and spring academies. Sign up now to stay ahead in your careers!
[Online winter academy] Artificial intelligence and international law (21-25 February 2022)
Time: 09.00 (CET)
Fee: Regular: €895/ Student fee (Including PhD): €495
Artificial intelligence (AI) comes with many promises. It has the potential of providing for cognitive abilities going beyond human capacities, which could lead to significant scientific and societal progress. At the same time, the use of technologies that display increasing degrees of autonomy brings in significant ethical, legal, and policy challenges. AI is disruptive to fundamental legal norms and concepts, as well as to systems of international governance.
The Winter Academy is an interdisciplinary programme that offers in-depth perspectives on AI and international law. It provides foundational knowledge on key issues at the intersection of theory and practice, and offers a platform for critical debate and engagement on emerging questions. The programme covers technical aspects of AI, philosophy and ethics of AI, AI and human rights, AI and international humanitarian law, AI and international responsibility, and international governance of AI.
Indicative list of topics:
- Understanding AI technology
- Responsible AI and ethical design
- Human-machine relationships
- Ensuring respect for human rights in the context of AI
- Military applications of AI and the international law of military operations
- Individual and collective responsibility in relation to AI
- International governance of AI
- Researchers and advanced students (master or PhD) in the fields of international law, political science, philosophy, or computer science
- Policy analysts and legal advisers working on innovation and technology in public or private institutions
- Industry professionals interested in the law and governance of AI
[Spring academy] Doing Business Right: Due diligence as master key to responsible business conduct (04-08 April 2022)
Time: 09.00 (CET)
Venue: T.M.C. Asser Instituut
Fee: Regular: €1.295 / Student fee (Including PhD): €750
The second pillar of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs), popularised the concept of human rights due diligence as the central process that businesses need to introduce in order to abide by their responsibility to respect human rights. From thereon, the concept was transplanted into a variety of regulatory instruments, such as the OECD Guidelines on Multinational Enterprises or the French law on the devoir de vigilance. Thus, it became the touchstone of the debates related to responsible business conduct and a primary demand by civil society organisations pushing for stricter regulations of transnational corporations.
The 2022 edition of the Doing Business Right Spring Academy will dive deeper into the idea and reality of due diligence. We will retrace the genealogy of the concept, investigate its theoretical underpinnings, and provide the participants with a comprehensive understanding of its practical operation through specific case studies conducted by experienced practitioners. Through a blending of theory and practice, this Spring Academy will equip our participants with the necessary theoretical and practical skills to navigate and actively engage with the growing practice of due diligence, be it as a lawyer, activist, corporate adviser, government official or researcher.
- Business and human rights
- Responsible business conduct
- Human rights due diligence
- OECD guidelines for multinational enterprises
- U.N. guiding principles on business and human rights
- Early- to mid-career professionals
- Civil servants
- Corporate legal advisers
- Civil society representatives
- Social auditors
- Advanced students
The dates for our two summer programmes are here. Save the date and keep an eye out for more information to advance your skills!
- [Advanced summer programme] Terrorism, counter-terrorism and the rule of law (29 August- 2 September 2022)
- [Summer programme] Disarmament and non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (26-30 September 2022)
After successful completion of these programmes, you will receive a professional certificate from the T.M.C. Asser Instituut.
If you have any questions about the content of these courses, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org